Are you sure you’re following all of the practices and strategies to optimize your expenses? AWS has many flexible methods of keeping your expenditure to a minimum but the myriad of services and strategies could overwhelm you. Check out the list of essential strategies below to see if you’ve got all your bases covered.
- Purchase instances that suit your organizational needs.
- Buy reserved instances with appropriate duration. Don’t reserve instances long-term if you won’t need them.
- Analyze the pricing history of the Spot market at least a week before purchase to know which instances are worth purchasing.
- Purchase Spot Instances for resources that aren’t set up for production.
- Deploy some Spot instance tools so you don’t have to worry about your instances being interrupted.
- Monitor your instances monthly. Purchase the latest instances.
- Schedule your instances. Keep them running only on business hours.
- Make use of AWS instance scheduler or third-party automatic scheduling tools to take the task off your hands.
- Try to be even more thorough with the scheduling times. If you don’t need instances to be running during certain working hours(like lunchtime), then turn it off.
- Schedule your resources based on their activity. Don’t need to keep them running if they are idle.
- Shut down resources other than instances like unused DB volumes or elastic IPs based on time or activity.
- Optimizing your storage directly results in the optimization of your costs.
- Store your running resources on S3 and move them between tiers according to their activity.
- Set up a lifecycle policy
- Use S3 Intelligent-tiering for moving between frequent and infrequent access tiers automatically.
- Archive your less active resources on Glacier.
- Archive data backups long-term on Glacier Deep Archive.
- Backup large volumes of data on Elastic Block Storage. Store your EC2 instances or clusters on here.
- Applications with high workloads can be run on Amazon EFS as it provides auto-scaling and quick outputs.
- Delete old snapshots and unallocated disk volumes
- Delete unnecessary objects and buckets
- Make use of AWS auto-scaling to allocate the sufficient capacity of storage to the workload
- Choose open-source operating systems
AWS Cost Management Tools
- Analyze your expenses with Cost and Usage report.
- Use Trusted Advisor to see your expense forecast.
- Figure out unused resources with Trusted Advisor
- Keep up with the trends in the market with AWS Cost Explorer
- Create budget plans for your resources
- Aggregate the expenses by services you run
- Arm the individual employees of your organization with cost optimization tools
Get similar stories in your inbox weekly, for free
Share this story with your friends
TotalCloud is a platform that is evolving the way the cloud is managed, by componentizing it. Achieve any cloud management solution or use case - across cloud cost, security, operational efficiency & complex custom solutions, with no-code automation. Our intuitive workflow-based platform save 99% of your CloudOps time.
The Golang programming language has been rising to popularity in the DevOps community in recent …
A news report on a recent outage to the apps managed by Facebook inc.
An ultimate clarity compass for software engineering practices.
Magento development company can help the business step up its eCommerce website to ensure its …